Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fasting Friday #7-8 plus our new diet

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Between sickness, researching new rings, my new class and just life in general blogging got pushed back. However, I would like to say that Fasting Fridays is going splendidly. Jason and I decided that it was important for us to eat at least one meal as a family a day. Which isn't a big problem during the week because lunches and dinners are usually a family affair. Fridays are different though, as much as I would like to just sit there while they eat, I don't have that kind of will power. So now fast until dinnertime, which works out to about 20-22 hours of no food.

I like the new set up a lot more because I get to spend the meal time with the kids and I get to eat sooner! I have noticed that between the fasting, exercise and new diet that my body just doesn't have as much reserves to run on anymore. So in the end, I think it was a good thing that we decided to break our fast at dinnertime. And we might go back to a 30 hour fast later on down the road. Especially on the Paleo diet, I don't think that I will be taking in as many calories as I will need to keep the full 30 hour fast.

As for our new diet, Jason and I decided to put the family on the Paleo diet for lent. The main reason was that we wanted to make sure that there were no food sensitivities with anybody. With Jason's mom having Celiac, which is genetic, we wanted to make sure that gluten wasn't an issue. And then since I have dairy issues, we're just trying to play it safe and test everybody. We're hoping that it will help us solve the random stomach issues that we have or at least give us an idea of what's causing it.

So what can we have? Lean meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. No grains, dairy, salt, sugar, processed foods, legumes or starchy vegetables. It sounds extreme and it is, but then again we're only trying this for a little over a month and then we are going to slowly reintroduce foods. I'm cautiously excited about the diet because I want to make sure that we are eating the best things for us and not stuff that our bodies can't handle. But as the main food preparer, I'm racking my brain with how many different ways I can cook chicken. I don't know if we're going to stick with the strict Paleo diet forever, and we probably won't since I love sweet potatoes so very much. But I think that we will have a much better diet in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment