Sunday, March 4, 2012

How Paleo is going...

I have to say that Jason and I decided to go on the Paleo Diet to figure out our tummy issues. We put the kids on it too because we wanted to make sure that they don't have any food sensitivities. While there are a lot of iterations of the diet, we decided to go on the strictest one for about 30 days and then slowly reintroduce foods to see if we have any problems. The diet that we decided to go on consists of meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts , seeds and healthy fats. No grains, dairy, processed foods, potatoes, legumes and most oils.

To start with I made a lot of grilled foods and salads with fruit for snacks. But you can only make grilled chicken differently so many times and the family was getting bored after a couple of days. My breaking point was when I thought we couldn't have sweet potatoes and Audrey's breaking point was dairy. She loves her cheese. But after coming to terms with the fact that we could reintroduce stuff in a little while, we were able to handle it. Since then, I did some research and have put sweet potatoes to the diet. I've also stumbled across health-bent and it's been a lifesaver. The recipes are yummy and it took me out of my rut. I have tried her butternut squash lasagna which is delicious! I've even found a brownie recipe that we can have even on our super strict diet! Yea, we can have dessert again!

I have to say that the hardest part is making sure that the kids understand why we are doing this. I took the kids to see a movie today and Aiden was sad that we couldn't have popcorn and a drink when everyone else around us did. Or that we have to bring a special snack with the kids for Sunday School. But it gives us another opportunity to tell them why we are doing it and how God can help them through it and that they should be thankful for what they can eat.  God is definitely using something as simple as a diet and making it something that we can use to glorify Him. Praise God for that opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment