Thursday, January 19, 2012

A challenge

When Jason and I realized that we were moving to Dallas, we started doing a lot of research. Where were the grocery stores, where our favorite stores/restaurants are, etc.. But the hardest research was where to go to church. I always hated moving growing up, but what made it worse after I became a Christian was having to find a new church. It's such a tough process. You have to leave behind the people that you've formed a relationship with to find a bunch of new people to start over. Then there is the teaching, is it biblically sound, is it thought provoking, do you agree with it? And most importantly, is it where God wants you?

After visiting a couple great churches in the Dallas area, we landed at Lakeview Community Church in Cedar Hill. The church isn't as close as we would like (it's about a half hour drive) nor is it big and flashy. In fact, it's in the middle of a reboot with a new pastor. But the day we visited, it felt like home and Jason and I knew right away that we found our church. The pastor, Dan is a DTS grad and has the same sense of humor as Jason. Which works great for us and it's been a pleasure getting to know people in the church family. 

Dan is an Old Testament guy and even named his daughter Eden. So it was with lots of enthusiasm that he showed me a hat on Etsy. It was an Assyrian war helmet with beard.  He said that he'd been wanting it ever since he saw it but wouldn't spend the money to buy it. (It was kind of pricy). So I took it upon myself to try to figure it out. As I sat down to look at the picture and try to make a pattern for it, I actually found it online for free! SCORE! 

So I sat down with crochet hook in hand and started making it. I think an hour or so into it I was muttering that I realized why the lady charged so much. The pattern was definitely harder than what I was used to. Long story short, after lots of muttering I finished it and it was awesome!



Dan's look when he got it was like seeing a 5 year old get a new bike for Christmas. It was priceless. All that to say I'm glad we're done looking for churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment