Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fasting Friday #1

It's a new year and Jason and I have completed our first Fasting Friday. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. We are doing a water and tea fast for 24 hours (well, that is the goal but more on that later).

We woke up and started our day like any other day. The one thing that wasn't planned out as well as it could have been was that we also had our workout to do on Friday. Jason and I did our workout with lots of grunts of pain in the morning and then proceeded to live life as normal as possible. I really didn't feel hungry until after the workout which wasn't a big surprise to me. But we drank lots of water and tea (and since we have lots of different flavors of tea it was quite nice).

Around dinner time was when the rubber hit the road. I still had to cook for the kids and the smell of the food was making me miss eating. I started getting upset that I couldn't eat the food but I stuck it out. I'm going to have work on my attitude next week though.
The kids with their dinner. 
Jason with our "dinner." 

In the end, Jason and decided that since it was our first go and we had a hard workout in the morning to go ahead and eat after the kids went to bed. It wasn't such a bad go at fasting since we abstained from for for about 20 hours.

Conclusion: When you are fasting, it is a lot easier when your love is doing it with you. Try to drink lots of liquids to stave off the hunger feelings. I tried to spend more time in prayer and in the word throughout the day and that helped a lot. Imagine that, when you focus on Christ, your current situation is better. Also, if you have to cook, do it with a smile on your face and make something you don't like but the kids do! I don't have any real goals for the fasting. I just wanted to do it to grow closer to Christ and grow closer to Jason. But I'm leaving it up to God to show me what he wants to. We'll see what happens next week!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your fasting! Sounds hard...I am excited to hear about your experiences and how you are growing closer to God and Jason! Looking forward to updates :) miss you and your family! see you soon!

    ReplyDelete