Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mac and Cheese = love?

I have recently given up dairy because it was doing bad things to my GI tract. I started in about September or so and it was fine and dandy until the holidays started. I never realized how much dairy was in my life until I couldn't have it. Jason and the kids still get their dairy and love to eat it. The most frustrating part is that I sometimes have to make cook twice for a meal. Mashed potatoes with nut milks is surprisingly good and it isn't too big of a deal to make a dairy and then a non-dairy version. However, it gets sketchy when there is dairy in the main course.

For example, I was craving beef stroganoff and bought everything to make it. I went excitedly to the kitchen to make it yesterday when I remembered that I couldn't have sour cream. So I cooked the stroganoff for Jason and the kids and I had to find something else to make for myself.  But that was after Jason looked at me with his amazing baby blues and told me that he was craving mac and cheese. How can I say "no" to him? I can't. Just like how I can't stay mad at him.

So tonight, I made mac and cheese from scratch and I scrounged up something for dinner. It was a little bit of an annoyance when I smelled the deliciousness coming out of the oven. But in the end, it was just another way of me showing Jason that I love him. In 8 years of marriage, I have found that the more I put Jason first, the more he puts me first and so it makes me want to do more.

Mac and cheese might not be the fanciest or most romantic thing to make. But it's the fact that I wanted to bless Jason with his craving that matters to him. He sees that I love him enough to make him something that I can't have. In the same token, imagine how much more God is blessed by us sacrificing a little of ourself to please Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment